Saturday, May 22, 2010

San Gimignano... place of dreams.

I fell in love with San Gimignano, Tuscany tonight. What a special night. About half our combined tour group signed up for the optional trip out here and those who didn't go missed the most amazing evening. This has been my favorite night since we've been here.

The first thing that made it special was that both Gianluca and Stephania came. We haven't really been with the both of them together since the tour started. Jill and I have this insane obsession with wishing Stephania and Gianluca would hook up. They are both so beautiful and smart and Italian and perfect. We take creepster pitures of them and I think they are starting to catch on.

Gianluca was right. San Gimignano beats the town center of Florence by far, at least for me. San Gimignano is quiter and more quaint and the scenery is just straight out of a movie. In fact, Stephania told pointed out a spot that all shots of Tuscany in so many famous movies were.

I thought we were JUST going wine tasting but Gianluca and Stephania took us to a few spots for panoramic views of the Tuscan hills (absolutely no words) and then we had an hour and a half or so for shopping and to go to the World Champion (literaly, no joke - they won awards) gelato shop in the world.

I bought a few cute gifts, we took lots of pics, and I had gelato #6? Loosing count. But it was Tiramisu! Delicioso!

Afterwards we boarded the bus again and headed to the winery for our tasting. On the way Stephania had us singing, it was so much fun. When we got there, we had a few minutes to hang out in the garden (straight up out of The Godfather) and then headed into a beautiful outside patio for the wine tasting. The host was Pierre Luigi, the funniest Italian man I have met so far. The way he taught us to taste wine was hilarious. For instance, when you go to smell the wine out of the glass you have to lower it to your "pee pee area" - LMAO! He was so entertaining and wonderful. They served us 6 different wines and oil and vinegar. Everything tasted amazing. They also gave us bread, salami, cheese, chips, and Luigi's grandma's lasagna which was by far the most delicious lasagna I have tasted in my 25 years of existance.

Luigi came around and added biscotti flavored olive oil on top of the lasagna and OMG it was amazing. There was meat on top of the lasagna and I said to JIll, "what is on top of this?" and as she stuffed her face she said "I don't know and I don't care!"

We were able to order anything we wanted to get shipped back home. I ordered some things but I will not say! Presents for mom and dad. ;)

We just got back to our hotel in Florence. Everyone is super tired from the wine. 6am wake up call to pack the bus and head to Rome! Stop in Assisi on the way. Assisi on a Sunday should be fantastic.

Love to everyone reading. Ciao!
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

1 comment: