Monday, May 17, 2010

The night before...

Hi, from my couch!

I've been meaning to set up a blog for a few weeks now. And here I sit, 11:10pm the night before I'm about to embark on the trip of a lifetime..... odds and ends still needing to be packed strewn around me... my toes still unpainted... my iPod still sitting here plugged in waiting to be filled with new songs. It feels like the night before a big exam at school, or the night before Christmas. I'm not sure how long this night is going to last, but I hope it lasts long enough for at least my toes to dry.

I still can't even fathom really that tomorrow is the day we're going to Italy. I can't picture myself there. It's just mind-boggling. This has been my dream trip for pretty much ever. My sister and I first signed up for this trip exactly a year ago. I remember updating my Facebook saying "I'M GOING TO ITALY IN MAY 2010" and it seemed like such a long time to wait. My sister got me a calendar for Christmas this past year that taught me a new Italian phrase every day and I've been reading them at work every single day and it seemed like it would take forever to rip through it all the way until May 18th. Now it's here. Really?

Everyone who knows me knows that I've never been ANYWHERE. I mean, Disney World rocked my little 11-year old world but I've never been out of the country... hell, this is only the second time I'll have ever been on a plane! So, this is just probably the biggest excitement of my life to date. This is the type of trip people are jealous of. I'm jealous of my damn self!

I have the pleasure of traveling with my lovely sister (who just graduated college last week!) her two close friends and our roommates Jill and Mary whom I love, and a small group of others from my sister's new alma mater. It should be a really great group and I look forward to spending the next 2 weeks traveling the most beautiful country in the world with them.

I decided last minute to take my father's netbook with me on the trip. I have a travel journal in book form, but I just can't imagine sitting and handwriting my thoughts every night after a day of touring. I'm a fast typer, I can type a whole lot more in a whole lot less of time than I can hand write. I don't want to lose these memories and I can get them out quicker via keyboard! I have not a clue about the wireless internet capabilities in our hotels, but I'm not even concerned. Just knowing I have the option of typing my thoughts and saving posts if I need to is enough for me. And there's always internet cafes that I'm sure are a lot cooler than the internet cafes I have been to in the states. Like the creepy one I went to down the shore when I was 16 or so. Weird.

Okay, seriously. It's now approaching midnight and the toes are still not painted. Do Italian people even care about pedicures? They better.

Until next time when I can really say "Hi, from Italy!"





No comments:

Post a Comment